Mobile Number Portability allows you to change your service provider without the need for changing your number. If you feel that you are not satisfied with your service provider, you can opt to port your number. This will enable you to shift to another network provider for better service. You might have used your number in places and given them to your contacts. This feature helps you to port number without facing any consequences. If you want to change the service provider to Airtel or other networks, you need to completethe followingsteps:
- At first, you would need to decide the service provider you want to use after you port your number. You should do a little research and find out which provider offers the best plans and services in your area. At present, you get bundle packs, which mean you could consider the additional features too. Airtel offers amazing services, be it a mobile network, DTH services or broadband.
- You should send “PORT” followed by your mobile number to 1900. This is the central number for mobile portability assigned by TRAI.
- You should visit the nearest store operator and inform them that you need to port the SIM and complete the required documentation for porting details along with a client acquisition form so that you can port to the desired network. You would need to provide a passport-size photo of yourself and a copy of ID proof. The operator could use your Aadhaar details as an alternative.
- The duly filled forms will need to be submitted to the operator after this. This is the next step you would need to do to port number.
- If you are using a postpaid subscriber, you would need to provide a copy of the last bill. You would need to submit this along with the forms that had been mentioned in step 3.
- Once you have done this, you would get the new SIM card from the new service provider. You might be charged Rs. 19 for porting and this depends on the service provider.
- Once you have got this done, you need to hang tight. The process will generally take about 7 working days to complete. For some of the frontier states like Jammu & Kashmir, Assam and the North East, it might take a fortnight. Your new mobile service provider will update you about the further process.
- Once the process takes place, you would need to change the earlier SIM with the new one. You would be notified about when you should do this by the new service provider.
The services on the current SIM are not interrupted during the porting process. If you want to withdraw your porting request, you can do so within 24 hours of applying.